Technology Title: Customized Ionic Polyimide Materials
Inventor: Dr. Jason Bara
Patent Status: Patent Pending
- Polyimides are among the most heat-resistant, chemical-resistant, and strongest polymers in use.
- Use of these polymers has been somewhat limited due to the lack of tunability of the structure.
- Need exists for design of polyimides with greater tunability and control of properties and performance.
- Our technology is a novel class of polymers that contain alternating ionic and imide groups.
- Groups based on step growth polymerization of bis(imidazole) compounds with dihalides.
- Introducing ionic groups in the polymer chain can increase the number of polyimide materials.
- Enables the tailoring of 20,000 different polymer materials based on chemical transformations.
- Provides better control over chemical, conductive, and mechanical properties during production of polyimide materials.
- The ionic polyimides can interface with ionic liquids, which allows for enhanced control of materials performance.
- Straightforward production process
- Results in low-cost fabrication
- Finished material could likely garner a premium price due to the enhanced material functionality.