Technology Title:Incorporation of electronic components in 3D printing
- 3D printing is a fabrication process whereby the part geometry is built in a layer-by-layer manner.
- This enables the creation of parts with complex geometries in a single step.
- However, most use non-conductive polymers for fabrication, thereby limiting to parts and assemblies with electronic components.
- Technology provides simple and effective way to embed electronic components within printed objects
- Comprised of an electronic component module and a methodology that is embedded in the 3D objects
- Fabrication process pauses, and notifies operator to insert electronic component modules
- Envisioned that technology will allow for automatic placement of electrical components
- Allows for electronic features to be placed in customizable 3D objects
- Does not require geometry of prototypes to be simplified
- Provides an outlet for a greater variety of products to be produced